"The End of Native Code"

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 06:06:40 PDT 2006

David Medlock wrote:
> Andrei Khropov wrote:
>> David Medlock wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Are you saying you will move towards SML like typing (Hindley-Milner
>>> type) ?
>>

>> See Nemerle (http://nemerle.org/) - Hidney-Milner in C-family syntax.
>> Looks
>> very promising.
>>

> Thanks for the heads up.
> It does look good!  Looks like dot Net only though.. :(
>
> I hope they get either native or even translation to C.
>
> -DavidM

I've never understood this aversion to non-native languages.  Let's be
frank: native machine code is good, but it isn't the be-all and end-all.
 Nemerle was developed using .NET because that way they didn't have to
write a compiler; they could just use Reflection.Emit to generate their
assemblies.

Plus, it frees them from having to support every platform and processor
separately.

As for .NET itself, I think it's excellent.  For most purposes, it's got
plenty of performance (people are writing video decoders in C#), lots of
different languages to use, and a fairly complete set of libraries.

I agree in that it would be fantastic to have something like Nemerle for
native code, but I certainly won't discriminate against it just because
it's managed.

	-- Daniel

P.S.  Just in case you get the wrong idea, I'm far from a .NET fanb0i.
C# is only just "Ok" as a language, and the class library is painful in
many places.  Still, it's better than Java *shudders*.

--
Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even
make sense.