STEP UP PHOBOS DEVELOPMENT 10 FOLD

Andrei Khropov andkhropov at nospam_mtu-net.ru
Fri Jun 16 16:50:21 PDT 2006

Lionello Lunesu wrote:

> I totally agree!
>
> > A Best Practice would be to post one's changes on the newsgroup for peer
> > review. And if well received, only then send them per e-mail to Walter.

I agree on that point.

> ...and that's the tricky part. There's no guarantee that the fix/add-on will
> make it into Phobos. Not because it might not be up to some standard, but
> because it's likely to be overseen. A newsgroup for Phobos might be a way of
> fixing this.

Agreed.

> There's another problem. I don't "get" Phobos. If there's a thought behind
> it, I don't get it. I read the "philosophy" on the D site, and agree with it,
> but Phobos still looks like a bunch of random algorithms and patterns. For
> this reason, I, for one, would much rather submit patches to Ares than to
> Phobos.

Maybe Walther should say what's his vision on what should be in the scope of
Phobos.

There're different approaches possible:

1) Minimalistic C/C++ like - std lib contains only small set of necessary
things. Everything else is available through 3rd party libs.

2) Maximalistic Java/.NET like - std lib contains lots of stuff.

--
AKhropov