D - more power than (really) needed !

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 07:49:43 PST 2006

bls wrote:
> Since I am allways looking for new friends <g> ,and because my opinion
> does not fit into the "D - more or less power than C++" discussion,
> another opinion: D - more power than (really) needed !
>
> Preface :
> I guess most people here coming from C++/Java .. my background
> (Modula/Oberon/4GL) is different.
> Ergo : I have an other view regarding D.
> So why D has enough power ?
>
> Templates nice to have, but nessesary ? No. Let me quote Betrand Meyer.
> ~~~ "Inheritance is more powerfull than  using templates"
> Yes, I know Eiffel supports templates but the point is that everything
> can also be done using inheritance. And heh, we have GC.
> Also, i feel using templates is like learing an dialect. (well D's
> implementation is at least readable)
>
> The Oberon Language spec. has 18 pages is extremly simple and
> enables you to create an combined code/text/graphic editor, using
> inheritance and a good choice of patterns,  which has much more power
> than let's say Scintilla.
> So I wonder how can this be done with such a simple language, and
> what does it mean for D? D more power than REALLY needed!
>
> One of the things that I found really impressive (and unexpected) is
> that D code is readable. Good Design!
>
> Just my opinion.
> Björn Lietz-Spendig
> SIMPLE IS BEAUTIFULL

It's ironic that the overview page on the digital mars website makes
comments about C++ having many "islands" ..
I think back then D didn't have templates. Well, now it does, and those
comments are applicable to D as much as they are to C++

<quote src=http://www.digitalmars.com/d/overview.html>
C++ programmers tend to program in particular islands of the language,
i.e. getting very proficient using certain features while avoiding other
feature sets. While the code is usually portable from compiler to
compiler, it can be hard to port it from programmer to programmer. A
great strength of C++ is that it can support many radically different
styles of programming - but in long term use, the overlapping and
contradictory styles are a hindrance.
</quote>