D - more power than (really) needed !

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Wed Mar 8 10:00:41 PST 2006

"bls" <lietz at wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
news:dubqrg$10ad$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> Since I am allways looking for new friends <g> ,and because my opinion
> does not fit into the "D - more or less power than C++" discussion,
> another opinion: D - more power than (really) needed !
>
> Preface :
> I guess most people here coming from C++/Java .. my background
> (Modula/Oberon/4GL) is different.
> Ergo : I have an other view regarding D.
> So why D has enough power ?
>
> Templates nice to have, but nessesary ? No. Let me quote Betrand Meyer.
> ~~~ "Inheritance is more powerfull than  using templates"
> Yes, I know Eiffel supports templates but the point is that everything can
> also be done using inheritance. And heh, we have GC.
> Also, i feel using templates is like learing an dialect. (well D's
> implementation is at least readable)
>
> The Oberon Language spec. has 18 pages is extremly simple and
> enables you to create an combined code/text/graphic editor, using
> inheritance and a good choice of patterns,  which has much more power than
> let's say Scintilla.
> So I wonder how can this be done with such a simple language, and
> what does it mean for D? D more power than REALLY needed!
>
> One of the things that I found really impressive (and unexpected) is that
> D code is readable. Good Design!
>
> Just my opinion.
> Björn Lietz-Spendig
> SIMPLE IS BEAUTIFULL

If inheritance is so powerful, then why did Java adopt generics?  If Oberon
is so great, why doesn't everyone use it?  The purist OOP ideology is a
narrow-minded perspective of programming.  Just because you don't use or
understand generic programming does not mean that it is not incredibly
useful and/or necessary.

A lot of the bias towards OOP purism comes from Java vs. C++ comparisons,
much more convincing than Anything vs. D.  Hopefully the simplicity and
power of D can help to eliminate OOP purism.

-Craig