D vs Java

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Sun Mar 19 09:11:38 PST 2006

james wrote:
> Also there seems to be two major approaches to app development emerging:
> Java/c# and a virtual machine
> VS
> c/c++/D and scripting languages like ECMAScript, Python, Lua.
>
> I think the latter is the way to go. And the fact that DMDScript(ie ECMAScript)
> is written in D is great.

Using VMs is not a solution, it's a terribly perverted workaround. The
real problem is that current operating systems are far too monolithic
and hang/corrupt the whole machine when one unfortunate process
dies/does something bad. Modern micro/exokernel OS:es (see
demo.tudos.org), a safe native code low/high-level hybrid-language (D,
of course) and some high-level scripts on top of that is a lot more
flexible and effective approach. Having a true modular kernel actually
means that the VM is kernel-level stuff and it's always on. Huge
improvement IMHO.

--
Jari-Matti