D vs Java

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Mar 20 18:59:17 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Brad Anderson wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote: It's almost too bad, as I'm still hoping for an
>> undeniable
>>
>>> reason to drop Windows for an alternative OS ;-)
>>
>> So do it anyway, like I did, and many others.  It's the little things
>> that hit you daily - cumulatively, they won't let you go back to
>> Windows.
>
> Right!
>
> Consider, on the one hand, an OS that's from the beginning made just to
> get everybody's money. And only that. ("We're writing stuff 'for them'!")
>
> And on the other hand, an OS made _by_ the users, _for_ the users. And
> on top of that, based on Unix, which _from_the_start_ was an OS for
> software development. And for the able user and not "for the masses".

Doesn't matter if the OS that gets money also has the apps I want to
run.  In an ideal world, I be using OSX.  If I wanted to make a
practical choice for idealistic reasons, I'd use a Linux or BSD.  As it
is, I simply haven't been given enough reason to decide against Windows
despite its utility.  Though it's worth mentioning that one of the
motivating factors in my decision is which OS has the best games ;-)

Sean