D vs Java

Lucas Goss lgoss007 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 09:16:37 PST 2006

Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
> Free Software uses a different business model - I should know, I used to
> be quite involved with it.  The idea is to make money from the service,
> not from the product.
>
>> Interesing point. I think the "Free Software" model is flawed.

I somewhat agree with both points. I see the value of open source and
how it can work as a service, but it doesn't always seem to work this
way. Maybe someone can clear this up for me... or maybe I'll just muddy
the waters. Does it work in these cases?

This one I'm not sure about, but what if I make an innovative new
software product and release it as open source. Some business comes
along and likes my product, so they have their developers (who are paid)
to make enhancements to my original. Then they decide to support clients
who use this software (as they bundle the software with their product).
And since this company is bigger in the market, most people that need
the support go to this company. How do I make money from that?

Secondly... games! This is where open source doesn't fit in my opinion.
I make a game and release it, who will pay for support. Users will think
it's a bad game if it doesn't work or if it's buggy. And gamers won't
pay to add things (unless it's maybe like $5), and instead choose to try
to do Mod's.

So it seems...
Business/Education = Linux
Home/Entertainment = Mac/Windows