D vs Java [OT:Gentoo]

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Mar 22 06:02:40 PST 2006

Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:

>>Just that marketing forces has me running distros originating from R.H.
>>And I still think that Ubuntu and Linspire are less scary for "users" ?
>
> I also think they have very good features for easy tasks. Still I prefer
> community-based distros for everyday hacking and developing
> bleeding-edge software.

Yeah, I'm using Fedora Core... (mostly since I need to support RHL/RHEL)

>>But maybe I should take another look at 2006.0, it looks much improved.
>
> Maybe.

It's now running an emerge from like 2004 or so, could take a while. :-)

> Portage really needs a rewrite from scratch. Maybe some CPU-intensive
> parts of it could be written in D! :)

For the record, Yum sucks just as much for RPM. Hmm, Python there too...

http://rhesa.hates-software.com/2005/11/06/707b5e44.html Prefer APT-RPM.

  > Yes, Arch is a lightweight distro for experienced users. Much less
> features, packages and configuration scripts included, but it's fast,
> and "easy" to install and update. A good alternative for people who like
> Gentoo and ports-like package management, but don't want to spend all
> day compiling source packages.

Sounded like a good alternative to Slackware, for the knowledgable user.

--anders