D vs Java

Bruno Medeiros daiphoenixNO at SPAMlycos.com
Thu Mar 23 07:01:29 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> These are a lot of very interesting observations that never occurred
>> to me.
>>
>> Are you teaching D as a first language, or just thinking about it?
>
> In 2000 I was _dragged_ out of the university, to do Java development.
> When I left, I told everyone on the department that I'll be back unless
> I get rich quick. Now I'm [more than] toying with the idea that I'll go
> back to teaching, and get my Ph.D. on the side.
>
> Additionally I am collecting material and doing research on
> "Introduction to Programming, Using D". Vol 1 would be a general
> introduction to stuff that every first year CS student should know, and
> Vol 2 would contain advanced stuff for the second and third year.
>
> (I'm still catching my breath after the divorce, but it's downright
> likely that's where I'll be once I get half a grip.)

My university teaches Scheme as the first language, modeled after the
MIT curricula, where the course is based on SICP (the purple book).
Seems a good idea to me, as Scheme is much more simple than Java and D,
and so the teaching can focus on the general programming concepts.

Frankly I really don't see D as much better/simpler than Java for the
purposes of a first language.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student