Windows woes

Lucas Goss lgoss007 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 11:00:24 PST 2006

David L. Davis wrote:
> Yep! It's like someone else pointed out in another message, these things will
> happen once in a while to everyone. And even moving to another non-Windows OS
> won't save anyone from having to rebuild their OS from time to time. And giving
> up computers all together isn't an option...so "no pain, no gain." Plus Windows
> XP is the best version of Windows that Microsoft has ever put out. Well I'm glad
> to hear you're back up and running. :)

Well I'm not saying that it won't happen, but so far it's saved me. I
haven't had to (or wanted to) rebuild my Linux system yet, and saving
all my files is cake.

I fix a whole bunch of Windows machines all the time because most people
don't know how to keep it protected (when I ran it I didn't have as many
problems). But with all the spyware/adware/virus/trojan/etc. most people
are sitting ducks, whereas they have no problems with a Linux system in
this area. Only things they have problems with are, "how do I open this
file someone sent me?", which I get the same amount of questions with
Windows. So while this may happen once in a while to everyone, I think
it happens more often to most non-tech users (which is probably most users).

I echo the registry sentiment already mentioned, but I also think the
whole integration of the web browser into the operating system, as well
as the active x fiasco was a huge mistake. I have heard they are finally
fixing this in IE 7... but I'm kinda stuck on Linux now.

Lucas