Thunderbird ain't perfect, either

Bruno Medeiros daiphoenixNO at SPAMlycos.com
Thu Mar 30 02:42:49 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> So, having been hosed by O.E. at least 4 times whenever I either
> upgraded the OS or had to reinstall it, I decided to bite the bullet and
> install Thunderbird. There's good, there's bad:
>
> The good:
>
> 1) It's free.
> 2) It's look and feel is familiar, little new to learn here.
> 3) The message database is in plaintext. I am very uneasy having
> critical data to my business in a secret, undocumented format. What if
> those files get corrupted? What if Microsoft end-of-lifed support for
> it? Poof!
> 4) Spell checker. Gotta pay extra for a 3rd party spell checker for O.E.
> 5) Seems to get the unread message count right. O.E. always gets this
> wrong.
>
> The bad:
>
> 1) No way to backup/restore the data. It's about as bad as O.E. here.
> C'mon, Tbird developers, how hard can this be? I want a simple way to
> back up EVERYTHING to a CD or another drive, and then restore it.
> 2) Buggy import from O.E. messages - it sometimes inexplicably gets the
> dates all screwed up, resulting in messages having been received in year
> 2101, or year 1965.
> 3) Search is essentially useless, still have to use X1.
>
> So far I've only used Tbird for an hour or so.
What exactly is wrong with TB search? Seems fine to be. The only caveat,
which you might not have noticed yet, is that in "Search Messages", when
in online mode you only have the "subject" and "from" source field
options. It is only in offline mode that one has access to other fields,
like "body", "date", etc.  :/
Was that the problem or something else, like better boolean expressions?

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student