Image format libraries, raytracers and stuff

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 04:07:58 PDT 2006

Brad Anderson wrote:
<snip>
> This may or may not be what you're looking for...
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/sol

Seems a good effort.  A few initial observations (trying it on Mac OS X):

1. So it requires the vertex normals of a flat triangle to be explicitly
given?  Seems a bit cumbersome....

2. The distribution contains .obj files that obviously aren't compiler
object files, which is what almost every MS-DOS or Windows programmer is
used to the extension meaning.

3. It requires OpenGL.  OTOH, I'm going for something more self-contained.

4. It seems to run only in a GUI.  No obvious way to just generate an
image file straight from the command line.

5. Why is the window's close button disabled?

6. Documentation is rather lacking.  OK, so it's not hard to get to know
the sol file format by looking at the examples.  But the obj files will
take a bit more studying to make sense of.  And I had to try saving an
image just to find out what format it saves in....

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.