Phobos (Re: Today the Hobbyist, Tommorow, The World!)

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed May 3 09:43:12 PDT 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>
>>> To this end, I propose the formation of an organization/committee,
>>> headed by Walter, to guide the process of creating this polished
>>> presence.
>>>
>>> Some things which this committee should consider are:
>>>
>>> 1. Unified std library which is 100% covered and stable.
>>>
>>> Aside: I am strongly biased to creating this library out of Ares +
>>> Mango. No offense Walter, but Sean and Kris' code is higher quality
>>> at this point.
>>
>> That's fine with me.
>
> So, does this now mean that Phobos, GPhobos, and Ares should be merged ?
>
> As in, splitting the Phobos library up - into the 3 Ares subcomponents:
> * the runtime library (phobos.lib)
> **  the DMD compiler runtime (dmdrt.lib)
> **  the DMD garbage collector (dmdgc.lib)
> **  the standard library (ares.lib)

I don't think they should be merged, as they all serve the same purpose.
  GPhobos is a clone of Phobos but with GDC support added, while Ares is
essentially Phobos refactored into three sub-libraries with "std"
replaced by new code.

> I guess we have a few items to sort out then, like: linux/Unix/Posix,
> and what the module hierarchy should look like and other similar things.
> (but better support for posix and win32 headers would be a good change)
>
> Or did you just mean it as in "it's OK that theirs is higher quality" ?

I think this is what Walter meant.  And frankly, I think Ares/Mango/etc
still have a ways to go yet they are a feature complete replacement for
Phobos.  For now, I think the status quo makes more sense.

Sean