D Online Presence

Justin C Calvarese technocrat7 at gmail.com
Sat May 6 14:17:21 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> nick wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> 1) is it does not adjust when the window size is changed.
>> Is this better?
>> http://hcoop.net/~natamas/d/template.html
>
> Yes, much. But why does it stop reformatting below a certain size?
>
>>> Ok, I just think that the use of javascript should be minimized,
>>> because many have js disabled for security reasons.
>> So, I am leaving the tab-outline-hack in since it doesn't affect
>> functionality. Is that ok?
>
> It's ok as long as it still works if js is disabled.
>
>> It really doesn't affect appearance that much
>> either. Some readers earlier asked for it and then went and looked up
>> the hack for me =).
>>
>> Regarding wikis:
>>> I haven't done so already because of the numerous existing D wiki's.
>> I understand that there are lots out there. Having an official wiki
>> promotes the idea that D is a language that means business. It also
>> makes it easy for newcomers to dive right in. I think it would be great
>> if we just moved the content of wiki4d to your hosting w/ my new layout
>> and a new wiki engine. Ideally, the wiki would be integrated with the
>> official D site fairly seamlessly. I can read up on different wiki
>> engines and create a template that uses my layout. Then, all you'd have
>> to do is install that same wiki engine on your site and use my template.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> It's a good idea, and it's ok with me if it's ok with Justin.

Really, I don't see how it's my decision. I didn't establish Wiki4D.
(That was Helmut Leitner.) I don't even host the wiki. (Again, that's
Helmut Leitner.)

The content of is Wiki4D licensed under the Free Document License
(http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FreeDocumentationLicense): "In
short: you may use, copy and change them, but the origin and your
changes must be transparent and you must keep their FDL status. All the
details should be taken from the original document made available by the
GNU organisation...".

I don't have an interest in studying all of the competing wiki systems
(or even in learning how to markup text for a different wiki) and I
don't want to convert the existing content to a new wiki style (and they
all seem to have a subtlety different style). If Nick wants to do that
fine, but he can't expect any help from me. Frankly, it sounds like a
waste of time to me. The day that the new wiki goes live people will
start complaining about the HTML that it generates or the color of the
links or the programming language that the wiki runs on or the database
the wiki is stored in. There's always going to be someone who's
dissatisfied and offers to set up the wiki in yet another wiki system.
And the content will need to be converted again.

--
jcc7