D Online Presence

nick nick.atamas at gmail.com
Sat May 6 14:47:29 PDT 2006

Justin C Calvarese wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:

>> It's a good idea, and it's ok with me if it's ok with Justin.

> The content of is Wiki4D licensed under the Free Document License
> (http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FreeDocumentationLicense): "In
> short: you may use, copy and change them, but the origin and your
> changes must be transparent and you must keep their FDL status. All the
> details should be taken from the original document made available by the
> GNU organisation...".

Fantastic; that's a green light for copying the content.

> I don't have an interest in studying all of the competing wiki systems
> (or even in learning how to markup text for a different wiki) and I
> don't want to convert the existing content to a new wiki style (and they
> all seem to have a subtlety different style). If Nick wants to do that
> fine, but he can't expect any help from me. Frankly, it sounds like a
> waste of time to me.
I simply asked my friends, who are web-gurus, regarding the choice of
wiki. I am not asking you to convert anything; I will do that myself (or
with a group effort involving several other enthusiasts).

> The day that the new wiki goes live people will
> start complaining about the HTML that it generates or the color of the
> links or the programming language that the wiki runs on or the database
> the wiki is stored in.

You can objectively say that one wiki is better than other by
considering facts. We need to choose one and go with it. Wiki4d has issues.

> There's always going to be someone who's
> dissatisfied and offers to set up the wiki in yet another wiki system.
> And the content will need to be converted again.

That's why there is going to be an official D wiki that everyone will
find when they google for D and hit digitalmars.com/d. All other wikis
will become secondary; especially because their content will have been
moved to the official D wiki.

The point is not to make all the existing D fans happy. The point is to
make D appear like a professional effort to create a new programming
language. At the moment doing a google search for D does not give you
that immediate impression. This is what I am aiming to fix. I think many
people on the newsgroup agree.