D Online Presence

nick nick.atamas at gmail.com
Sun May 7 11:29:16 PDT 2006

Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
> Justin C Calvarese wrote:
>>> Somehow I think this one looks a lot better.  It was posted in another
>>> thread:
>>>
>>> http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mockup5ey.jpg
>>>
>>> It's simpler and I like the colors better.
>> I think they each have different strengths and perhaps weaknesses.
>>
>> What kind of HTML does it take to look like for "mockup5ey.jpg"?
>>
>> (Nick started off which a graphic file, too, but he eventually shared
>> the actual HTML/CSS with us.)
>>

> I think it's pretty easy to support both layouts with css-stylesheets.
> The blueish background looks a bit dirty in mockup5ey, but I guess it's
> a transparent png rendered with IE6.
It's not IE6. That is a JPEG straight out of Photoshop; you can tell by
the font AA.

> The template by nick looks
> promising. It's a bit dark, but it has a clean, official look'n'feel.
Thank you. I keep promising a lighter variant, but my #1 priority is
making a MoinMoin theme.

> Firefox/Opera and others also support alternative stylesheets. If the
> user doesn't know how to switch between them, a cookie-based approach
> can be used. The biggest problem would be to make the html structure
> flexible enough to support different layouts. It's always a tradeoff
> between code complexity, rendering speed, bandwidth usage and overall
> 'coolness'. I would personally prefer a 'simple' layout without huge
> images, tables and detailed background textures.
Yeah, I already have 2 alternatives: fixed layout and flexible layout.
The fixed layout gives you are true zoom, while the flexible layout
conforms to a browser window.

> I'm still absolutely positive of the fact that web page layout matters.
> I tried to convert few friends of mine from Pascal and C/C++ to D in
> 2003. They were frightened by the terrible looking index page of
> digitalmars. Now that digitalmars uses stylesheets and we have that
> unofficial language wiki (http://www.quit-clan.de/docwiki/) it has been
> much easier to introduce D to several enthusiastic persons. Prowiki is
> highly functional, but it doesn't look as modern as mediawiki or trac.
I'm with you on that one.