Why std.stdio and not std.io ?

Lucas Goss lgoss007 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 10:03:15 PDT 2006

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Lucas Goss wrote:
>> I wonder the same. I also wonder why not...
>>
>> std.unicode - instead of std.uni
>> std.c.ctype - instead of std.ctype
>> std.conversion - instead of std.conv
>> std.c.stream? - instead of std.cstream
>> std.memorymappedfile - instead of std.mmfile
>> ...more?
> <snip>
>
> Because std.c.* is reserved for translations of C API headers.

Ok that explains std.cstream, but isn't std.ctype a translation of
ctype.h? Well I guess it doesn't use any C library, but it's essentially
a copy ctype.h. The C libraries just seem to clutter up the niceness of
D, and make it not so appealing to me. I can see the usefulness of
having them to prototype functions until they can be redone later, but
using the same naming just seems odd and makes the language feel
outdated and hard to read. It also scares me a little because I'm sure
someone will bring up the case that the naming can't be changed in the
future because of backward compatibility. Makes me sad...

Lucas