Why std.stdio and not std.io ?

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Tue May 9 11:34:40 PDT 2006

Lucas Goss wrote:

> Ok that explains std.cstream, but isn't std.ctype a translation of
> ctype.h? Well I guess it doesn't use any C library, but it's essentially
> a copy ctype.h. The C libraries just seem to clutter up the niceness of
> D, and make it not so appealing to me. I can see the usefulness of
> having them to prototype functions until they can be redone later, but
> using the same naming just seems odd and makes the language feel
> outdated and hard to read. It also scares me a little because I'm sure
> someone will bring up the case that the naming can't be changed in the
> future because of backward compatibility. Makes me sad...
>
> Lucas

I agree here.  Leave the old C naming convention to std.c.* .  For all
of the D functions, use more descriptive/intuitive and consistant names.
  I hope the other major libraries (Ares, Mango) will take this to heart
as well.  I noticed "atoi" in Mango.  atoi makes sense if you come from
a C background, otherwise you'd have no idea what it does until you read
the description.