build in the compiler was Re: version and debug statements

Ameer Armaly ameer_armaly at hotmail.com
Fri May 12 17:57:33 PDT 2006

"Derek Parnell" <derek at psych.ward> wrote in message
news:op.s9c0g6vc6b8z09 at ginger...
> On Sat, 13 May 2006 06:25:13 +1000, Ameer Armaly
> <ameer_armaly at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Just as an example, it can now transform things such as
>>>   "for i = 1 to 100 do"
>>>   "for(int i = 1; i <= 100; i++){"
>>>
>> Perhaps, but does this functionality really fall under the domain of a
>> project management and automation program?
>
> I neither know nor care. ;-)

But that's exactly my point- a macro processor is independent of automatic
building, so why stuff them together in the same package, especially since
it almost invents a new layered language?  Furthermore, since building is
really nothing mroe than taking advantage of already present information in
the compilation phase, it would be redundant not to at least consider the
idea of combining the two.  By not knowing and caring, you're essentially
putting together a secondary layered compiler with various features but
without any consideration as to whether or not they actually belong there.