d-programming-language.org template

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 18 21:15:11 PDT 2006

nick wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>
>> I agree that tables make things easier, but easier isn't always better.
>>  My personal measure for how good a website of mine is thus:
>>
>> 1. Does it display correctly with my default browser window size (about
>> 2/3 of my main monitor)?
>> 2. Does it display correctly in a maximized window across both monitors?
>> 3. Does it display reasonably in a 800x600 window?
>> 4. If I pull out the stylesheets, is it still usable?
>> 5. Can I read it in lynx without difficulty?
>> 6. Is it suitable for people who are disabled: particularly blind and
>> colour blind people?
>> 7. Can I strip off all formatting and view it on my PDA?
>>
>> If it passes those seven tests, then it's gold :)
>>
>> 	-- Daniel Keep
>
> I think my layout passes 1, 2(tested in safari a while back), 3
> (especially with fonts set to -1 size), 4, 5.
>
> I haven't tested it for 6 or 7, but I would like to know how that turns out.

6. You can use http://colorfilter.wickline.org/.

7. If you use Firefox, you can usually get away with grabbing the Web
Developer toolbar, and resizing your window down to ~240px wide,
selecting "View" -> "Page Style" -> "No Style", and dropping the default
font size once (using Ctrl+-).

That said, although I haven't put it on my PDA (it's a pain in the
arse... stupid not having wireless have to find stupid dock), it looks
fine at low res.  Code examples push out to the side, but that's fine
since they'd look *worse* wrapped.

Also, I quickly ran the site through the colour blindness checker, and
it looks... almost exactly the same, which is quite good :)

As for blind people, the layout could use one change: put the content
first, then the navigation.  Here's how to test if you've done it right:

1. Grab a copy of lynx (I use Cygwin, so I'm not sure how to get it
otherwise).

2. Run this command:
   lynx -dump URL > page.txt

   I believe there is a website somewhere that will run a URL through
lynx for you, and display the result.  Can't remember where, tho.

3. Read page.txt.  Literally.  Read it out loud.  Every single word.
And read it slowly, just like a computer would.  For extra effect, put
the word "LINK" in front of all hyperlinks.  In fact, for best results,
feed the page directly into a text to speech engine.

Yes, this is roughly what blind people have to put up with.  Just
imagine listening to the site navigation being read out to you over and
over again every time you visit a new page...

If you can't work out how to coax the HTML into the right structure, you
can cop out and put a link at the top of the page like this:

Of course, the CSS should be in a separate file.

Hope this helps, rather than hinders :)

	-- Daniel Keep

--

v1sw5+8Yhw5ln4+5pr6OFma8u6+7Lw4Tm6+7l6+7D
a2Xs3MSr2e4/6+7t4TNSMb6HTOp5en5g6RAHCP    http://hackerkey.com/