d-programming-language.org template

nick nick.atamas at gmail.com
Thu May 18 22:37:29 PDT 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:
> 7. If you use Firefox, you can usually get away with grabbing the Web
> Developer toolbar, and resizing your window down to ~240px wide,
> selecting "View" -> "Page Style" -> "No Style", and dropping the default
> font size once (using Ctrl+-).
Well I tried that since it's easy. Seems alright

> Code examples push out to the side, but that's fine
> since they'd look *worse* wrapped.
Agreed; they are using the <pre /> tag which is intended for code and such.

> Also, I quickly ran the site through the colour blindness checker, and
> it looks... almost exactly the same, which is quite good :)
I did too, gray stays gray, for the most part.

> As for blind people, the layout could use one change: put the content
> first, then the navigation.  Here's how to test if you've done it right:
>
> 1. Grab a copy of lynx (I use Cygwin, so I'm not sure how to get it
> otherwise).
>
> 2. Run this command:
>    lynx -dump URL > page.txt
>
>    I believe there is a website somewhere that will run a URL through
> lynx for you, and display the result.  Can't remember where, tho.
It's all good, I am a nerd. I use lynx. (I used to have the navbar on
the right for lynx but moved it back.)

> 3. Read page.txt.  Literally.  Read it out loud.  Every single word.
> And read it slowly, just like a computer would.  For extra effect, put
> the word "LINK" in front of all hyperlinks.  In fact, for best results,
> feed the page directly into a text to speech engine.
Easy, use a mac =).
Yeah, the sidebar can go on the right.

> Yes, this is roughly what blind people have to put up with.  Just
> imagine listening to the site navigation being read out to you over and
> over again every time you visit a new page...
Yeah, but I can't imagine programming using a text to speech engine; so
this group of people may not be our target audience. Shouldn't be too
much work to support them either way.

> If you can't work out how to coax the HTML into the right structure, you
> can cop out and put a link at the top of the page like this:

> Of course, the CSS should be in a separate file.
>
> Hope this helps, rather than hinders :)
This helps. The knowledge that someone here besides me understands the
badness of table-based layouts also helps.