Prime time???

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 00:47:32 PST 2006

Tiberiu Gal wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 22:31:26 +0200, Walter Bright
> <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> Charlie wrote:
>>
>>> I've been fretting over the same thing, and a 'moving target'
>>> describes  it well.
>>>  With all the new additions recently I stopped holding my breath, I
>>> figure at this rate it'll be another 3 years for a 1.0.
>>

>> But isn't every language a moving target? Doesn't it make sense to
>> just  start using it?
>

> For most of us D is the spare time language, unfortunately - just
> because  it's name is 0.x! I'm sure that the same compiler named 1.0
> would change  this into making D the  first option in many projects.
>
> For instance, I made a small DWT replica of a SWT application we use at
> my  company.
> It's stable and faster, but it wasn't accepted in use because D is 0.x!
> ... people are superstitious this days

You may be right, but I have serious doubts that slapping a 1.0 label on
D is going to make any difference to the superstitious folks in your
company.  "Not 1.0" is just a convenient excuse for not straying from
the beaten path.  If D becomes 1.0 they'll probably just change their
tune to "Sorry, not a good enough tool-chain yet".  Most likely what
they really mean is "Sorry, it's still not Java."  Managers prefer to
play it safe when it comes to tool choices.  And can you blame them? Why
should they go out on a limb and choose D when they can see examples
every day in the trade rags of companies that have been successful with
Java or C++?

Success for D has to come from the ground up with people like you using
for their own little tools here and there, until eventually there's
enough critical mass taht managers can't ignore it anymore.

I remember a guy that used Python in a company I worked for about 10
years ago.  I remeber thinking "Python?  whatever dude".   He just used
it for perlish munging of things in our internal build system.  He used
it because he liked it, and management didn't care how he did it as long
as it got the job done.  Anyway ten years later big companies now pay
attention to Python, but few people cared about it back then.  I don't
think Python's 1.0 made much difference to anyone.  I didn't start
really looking at it till 2.something.  But the number didn't have
anything to do with it.  The reason was I started hearing about it from
lots of different places.  It was buzz, networking, critical mass, or
something else, but it was not a version number.

--bb