Prime time???

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sun Nov 5 23:14:23 PST 2006

Tiberiu Gal wrote:
> Everything is changing and we're all full of bugs. I'm sure that many
> look at a 1.0 label as stable!( not just my boss, but I heard people
> talking on #D irc)
> And we all know D's power, everyone saw the language comparision sheet,
> we need that sign from Walter "use it, it's stable!".
> I'm not dreaming, I know it won't change the world overnight but it will
> bring some audience, advertisment, and a handfull of undecided programmers.

I don't agree that D is full of bugs. Sure, the bugzilla bug count
constantly rises, but:

1) there are very few regressions, and I put a priority on fixing
regressions

2) I think a lot of the growing count reflects more users getting into
more heavy use of the language

3) The regression test suite constantly grows with each fixed bug,
meaning that the stability is like a ratchet - it moves forward only.

4) The core language is very solid and reliable. The bug reports tend to
be on the fringes or are easily avoided.

5) The bugzilla bug count is actually pretty low for a product as
complex as a compiler development system.

6) The optimizer/backend/linker are incredibly reliable, having endured
the bug fix/regression test cycle for decades.