[More Info] Increasing speed of D applications to Intel C compiled applicaitons' standards

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Fri Nov 10 11:05:27 PST 2006

%u wrote:
> - Unfortunately, processes requiring sheer memory access like
> memcopy, mem alloc, de-alloc, stream copy is nearly almost 15->20%
> slower at D. (note that, code is totally identical).

Keep in mind that D's allocator includes a garbage collector. To really
do an apples-to-apples comparison, your benchmarking code should create
lots of temporary objects. In D, the GC will handle all allocations and
de-allocations. In C++, your objects will have to be manually created
and destroyed.

I'd be more interested in those kinds of benchmarks than in the kinds of
micro-benchmarks that just compare the speed of D allocation with the
speed of C++ allocation.

--benji