Function Currying

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 05:14:03 PST 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>

>> Brad Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> The net is a truly wonderful resource:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curried_function
>>

> Although apparently confusion over what's "currying" and what's "partial
> function evaluation" abounds.

And I am no exception -- what I should have said was "partial function
/application/".  At least in this case, there's no actual evaluating
going on.

Anyway I'm mostly aware of this distinction between currying and partial
application because of a big debate on the python mailing list when
someone proposed a standard "currying" library, that was basically a
Python version of Walter's "curry" functions.  The currying proposal
eventually got it's name changed to "partial function application
proposal" because, as was pointed out, it wasn't currying.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0309/

It is now in python 2.5 as the function called "partial()" in the module
functools.

--bb