Text in D article

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 06:42:01 PST 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>
>> Here's a draft of an article which, hopefully, will explain some of the
>> details of how text in D works.  Any constructive criticism is welcomed,
>> along with edits or corrections.
>
> I would avoid the term "Unicode character" like the plague...
> If you must have something similar, then use "code point" ?
> It's OK to have it in the casual text, like "ASCII character,
> BMP character, Unicode character" but better not in the lists.

Mmm.  I was trying to use the correct terms where appropriate, I just
didn't want it to descend into unintelligible gibberish.  This is sort
of aimed at the person who has no idea what a 'code point' or 'code
unit' even is.

> It also has an example on why: printf("Hello, World!\n");
> doesn't work. But it does, since string *literals* are all
> NUL-terminated. However, when you then try to extend that
> to a string variable, and that variable contains a slice...
>
> --anders

Very true.  I suppose I *should* say that literals are NUL-terminated,
but I want to make it perfectly clear that relying on this is a bad
idea; is it accepted practice to simply treat all strings as if they
were possibly non NUL-terminated?

	-- Daniel

--
Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even
make sense.