D vs. C#

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Thu Nov 23 20:47:55 PST 2006

antonio wrote:
> Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
>> I want to write an article about D. Therefore I want to show more
>> details and advantages of D compared to C++, Java and C#. But I never
>> used C#.
>>
>> What are concrete things that are better in D or C#? Can you make
>> examples?
>
> best on c#
>
> framework
> documentation
> debugger
> Microsoft Integrated Developement Environment (IDE :-) )
>
> Very good "guides" for framework extensibility (ex: connection with a
> different SGBD are very standardized...you can find really good
> implementations of ado.net for PostgreSQL, Firebird.  D Database access
> is ridiculous... because D has not a proposal for standard database
> connectivity )

What about all of the C DB libs. out there? D can use those whereas C# really can't (well, it could,
but with poor performance (interop), which would defeat the purpose).

> D:
> *has not an standard framework (has not the "rules" for a standard
> framework extensibility)
> *documentation:  if you are not talking about D compiler, you have not
> really "massive" framework/libraries/extensions to document... and the
> ones you have are poorly documented (forums are the main "documentation"
> repository)
> *not native debugger.
> *Poor IDEs(syntax highlight and so on... nothing really ).
>

> D weakness... is just the things you need to be productive:  No one
> want's to work in a unique framework... in a unique "path"... in a
> required D-Fundation: D people is more worried about Linux vs Windows
> than D productivity.

Right, but libraries aside, I think one could be as productive with D as almost any other language
on Linux where it's pretty common (and often as productive) to just use a good editor as your 'IDE'.

D will probably take hold on Linux faster than in the Windows world for a myriad or reasons anyhow.