D vs. C#

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 08:43:10 PST 2006

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 07:42:30 -0800, Marcio <mqmnews123 at sglebs.com> wrote:

> Julio César Carrascal Urquijo wrote:
>> C# things that don't have an equivalent in D.
>> * yield operator
>

> 	I'd like to point out that the Concurrency and Coordination Runtime
> (CCR) makes heavy use of yield.
>

> "The Concurrency and Coordination Runtime (CCR) is a lightweight
> port-based concurrency library for C# 2.0 developed by George
> Chrysanthakopoulos in the Advanced Strategies group at Microsoft. Here
> http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=143582 , we have a deep
> discussion about CCR with George, a Software Architect, and Satnam
> Singh, Architect. You can get more info about CCR on the CCR Wiki
> http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.ConcurrencyRuntime .
> This is super cool stuff and represents a really innovative approach to
> making managed threaded programming more readily understandable and
> predictable.
>
> Please check out the OOPSLA/SCOOL paper on the CCR
> http://research.microsoft.com/~tharris/scool/papers/sing.pdf .
>
> Click here http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=206574 to see
> how the CCR is being used by the Microsoft Robotics Group."
>
> CCR Programming http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=219308
>
>      * article:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/09/ConcurrentAffairs/default.aspx
>

>> D things that don't have an equivalent in C#.
>> * Tupples.
>

> 	It would be nice if the article compared to Eiffel as well. Eiffel has
> DbC, generics, Tuples, agents, etc.
>
> marcio

Is this just me, or does this just look like CSP with a face-lift?  Even
the name "CCR" seems designed to look like "CSP"

I wish MS would credit the orinigation of their work, rather than
advertising the work as their own.  Furthermore, I think this has been
discussed here several times before.

-JJR