D vs. C#

antonio antonio at abrevia.net
Sat Nov 25 15:00:17 PST 2006

Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
> Antonio,
> the points you listed are very good. Well "good" because I know nothing
> about C#, and this is also true for the things around C# and Dot NET.
> First time I hear about those "rules".
>
> What do you think if you put the focus on the languages itself? Ignoring
> existing libs, IDEs ...

In the posts exposed in last 3 days, you can see a lot of comparisons
and opinions.

Here you are my basic opinion:

It's an error to take C# in an isolated way:  if you do this, D is more
featured language compiler.  C# must be analyzed as part of .Net
platform (Virtual Machine, Framework, Compiler), because c# was thought
as the "way" programmers access to and extends framework.

C# is "interface" oriented because framework standarization: from this
point of view, there is a lot of functionalities proposed in D that are
not really utile:  Microsoft was to try how to... and Java gived him the
way.

Of course, some people disagree some interfaces proposals, but it's the
cost of productivity.

My conclusion:

D is not "productivity" oriented (Walter and D people wants to have the
best multipurpose "full-possibilities" compiler) and C# is only the .Net
platform productive language:  You can't compare them, because they are
not the same  (you can compare D, C and C++, you can compare C# and
Java... but you CAN'T compare D with C# or Java... ).

My error:

I lived in a mistake the last 3 years:  I spected D people to
work/produce a complete platform (because the fashioned way:  .Net,
Mono, wxWindows, PHP,...).

My error was a simple confusion:  D is a language, not a platform.

D community never will implement this "platform/framework" because they
are interested in a practical exploration of possibilities not really in
a serious productive alternative... this is work for other people... D
is only the tool.

See you
Antonio