D vs. C#

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Sat Nov 25 19:31:18 PST 2006

Antonio,

Even at Microsoft, I would hazard the guess that different people
implemented the .NET Framework classes than actually developed the CLR,
or even VB.NET, C#, J#, etc.  Each probably even had its own project
manager, but that's really a guess.

Microsoft has the resources to put into this, but D doesn't have it all
yet.  If you are comparing infrastructures, D will not win against C#.
It is true that it is not ready for that fight yet.

That said, comparing it to C/C++ is a much easier win for much the same
reasons.

Some programmers do not need the full class library written for them,
though.  If I need to parse xml, I'll either use a C library or write my
own (which I have done.)  You're very correct that D is not a RAD
language, and I don't think it's intended to be one.

Over time, different class or library frameworks will emerge for D, and
one will become popular.  Since this has not yet happened, most people
are not interested in the obvious comparison you've made - rather, in
the comparison for the future.

To say that my pile of $1,000,000 in cash is better than your $600,000
in investment - right now - is easy.  But it's much more interesting to
know if the investment will be worth more in ten years or not.  I think
that is the question being asked.

Just my opinion.

Also, I disagree with your comments on C#; I don't believe it was
designed as the way to access the framework.  In fact, I think .NET
smells much stronger of Visual Basic .NET than of C#.  But that's really
an opinion.

Further, C#'s syntax and features are actually represented in a standard
which would theoretically be framework agnostic, much like JavaScript.
AFAIK.

-[Unknown]