OSNews article about C++09 degenerates into C++ vs. D discussion

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Mon Nov 27 16:28:21 PST 2006

John Reimer wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:29:07 -0800, Steve Horne
> <stephenwantshornenospam100 at aol.com> wrote:

>>> That said, I do agree that C++ is an "older"
>>> language in terms of its users, and that D is much "younger" in this
>>> respect.  It makes perfect sense.  C++ has been around for a long time
>>> and D has not, and few professional programmers seem inclined to learn
>>> new things.  If anything, they're more likely to refine their existing
>>> skill set and stick to their "specialty."
>>

>> Oh no. C++ is the new COBOL. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
>>

> He he.. It's inevitable... the languages start to date developers.
>
> The same thing works for operating systems.  When I mention I used some
> of  the very first Slackware linux releases in the 1990s (maybe around
> 19993  or 94) because I was desperate to move away from the DOS/Win16
> platform...  well, even a minor thing like that starts dating me among
> the younger  generation of linux gurus (a linux guru, I am not... still
> after all these  years).  At 31, I'm an in-betweener... not that old...
> but old enough that  computer history is leaving it's mark in my
> memories. :)

Uh-oh.

Reading that made me feel ancient. I wrote my first programs in FORTRAN,
back in the 1960's. And I still have three different computers that run
CP/M (what we had before Microsoft). And yes, I still play with them
occasionally. Last week I spent two hours reading the CP/M ASM listing
of the Osborne.

And I regularly have my HP 28S calculator near when I do programming.
(Made in 1986.) It mixes a version of Forth and RPN, and I feel it's
hugely more usable than even today's calculators.

Guess I'm simply a prehistoric relic.