Python-like tabs instead of curley brackets?

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Thu Nov 30 20:01:07 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Benji Smith wrote:
>>
>>> But, from what I've heard, web programming is a huge pain in the ass
>>> using Python. Embedding Python source in an HTML document (php/jsp
>>> style) causes major pain, since whitespace matters within python blocks.
>>

>> Every programming language has some stupid mistake in it that sounded
>> like a good idea at the time:
>>
>> C: pointer-array equivalence
>> C++: using < > for templates
>> Python: spaces mean something
>> Java: exception specifications
>> Lisp: ( )
>> FORTRAN: DO 10 I
>> Pascal: I/O is a special case
>> D: I'm sure you all have your own ideas for this!
>
> :-)
>
> For me, I think it's too soon to tell. After all, we're still living the
> "at the time" part with D.

That's what I think, too. In 10 years we'll all know what is screwed up
in D. At least we got rid of the bit type before it got too entrenched!

> Right now I'm actually more satisfied with D than ever!

Perspective is a funny thing. Many years ago, the appliances in my
kitchen were old and cruddy, and I thought it might be time to do a
kitchen remodel. So I hired this high end kitchen design outfit. They
came in, and designed an absolutely stunning kitchen. So I showed the
design to my dad. He told me I'd be sorry if I went ahead with the
project, because the kitchen would look so good the rest of the house
would look like garbage. Whereas I was satisfied with the rest of the
house, I wouldn't be after the remodel. I think he was right, and I
canceled the project.

So how does this relate to D? The best compliment on D I received a
while a go started by cussing me out. The person had used D for a while,
and then went back to C++. He found that whereas he was perfectly happy
with C++ before, he couldn't write C++ any more. D had ruined his taste
for it <g>.