Python-like tabs instead of curley brackets?

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 20:18:58 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Perspective is a funny thing. Many years ago, the appliances in my
> kitchen were old and cruddy, and I thought it might be time to do a
> kitchen remodel. So I hired this high end kitchen design outfit. They
> came in, and designed an absolutely stunning kitchen. So I showed the
> design to my dad. He told me I'd be sorry if I went ahead with the
> project, because the kitchen would look so good the rest of the house
> would look like garbage. Whereas I was satisfied with the rest of the
> house, I wouldn't be after the remodel. I think he was right, and I
> canceled the project.
>
> So how does this relate to D? The best compliment on D I received a
> while a go started by cussing me out. The person had used D for a while,
> and then went back to C++. He found that whereas he was perfectly happy
> with C++ before, he couldn't write C++ any more. D had ruined his taste
> for it <g>.

I can relate to the poor guy.  I started out, many a moon ago, bashing out BASIC/1a on a
Trash-80.  (Model 4P, for those who know.)  Took a course on C/C++ in high school, went
along with that for a few years.  Then took up Java because, at the time, I was doing
mostly very small GUI convenience apps.  Then (gosh, has it been that long?) I came across
D (0.49).  (Don't even remember how I found it!)  I played around with it, doing random
silly things for a week or two, and put it aside.  About that time, I took a little
vacation, so to say... I did peek back every now and then at the change log, just to see
if that "interesting little language idea was going anywhere."  Come 0.63, I 'converted'
and haven't looked back since.  I wanted so badly to get away from Java's VM-hell (yes I
know, its all improved vastly over time, but still) but just couldn't swallow C++ at all
anymore, I'd actually started pondering on my /own/ new language idea... just to realize I
was practically making a substandard D anyhow.

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls