D : Not for me anymore

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 15:48:46 PDT 2006

What can I say?  When it comes to D, you have to like it and want
it enough.  Most of the people here have discovered this.  What you
say is not new: I'm afraid several key D players have ridden off
into the sunset for similar reasons.

But I'm much more encouraged now compared with the past.  D has
made excellent strides not just because of Walter but because of
energetic, talented, and creative community that continues to
grow.  Contrary to what you say, it's far from doom and gloom.  In
fact, D has never been better, a fact that made me even more
surprised at your post; if you had been around a year or two ago,
things would have looked much more depressing than they do now. ;D

As far as wrappers go, any language that wants to start
with /something/ is best to start by using what's already tried,
tested, and true.  D does this, and, in the process, makes it self
immediately applicable to almost any task.  It would be a waste to
do otherwise.  As D gets more publicity, there is no doubt that new
D native libraries will be the order of the day.  I have no worries
about this.  In fact, I get more eager to see this happen every day.

As to the std.lib framework "by the community, for the community",
have patience, you never know what can happen.  Question is: how
much do you want that? ;)

-JJR