D : Not for me anymore

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Mon Oct 16 08:11:49 PDT 2006

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:02:41 +1000, Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se>
> wrote:
>
>> Derek Parnell wrote:
>>
>>> Are you saying that, for example, you would have no problems with
>>> Phobos  being taken from DigitalMars and moved to DSource so that
>>> everyone who  needed to could get to submit changes to the library
>>> that would actually  be applied.
>>
>> I'm confused, wasn't this what the Ares project was all about ?
>
> My understanding is that Ares is a replacement for Phobos. An
> alternative to Phobos.
>
> Walter seems to be giving the explicit green-light to take the primary
> responsibility for doing all the coding to Phobos from himself. The way
> I read it now is that Brad could set up a new DSource project called
> 'phobos', open it up for read-access for everyone, and svn-commit access
> to 'registered developers', and a small group to be responsible for
> creating downloadable library releases. The documentation could also be
> DSource'd too if Walter doesn't mind submitting the DDOC files he
> currently uses.
>
> I'm sure this community can come up with a workable collabaration on the
> 'official' phobos library.
>
> --Derek Parnell

If properly managed, I think it would be an excellent idea. One of the
greatest problems I see with D development nowadays is the
Walter-Bottleneck, and although I admire his vigorous and persistent
work, I think eventually we will have to open up the D development
process more. Most successful other languages and projects have teams of
developers working on them (either corporate funded, or open-source
communities), and as D matures I think we too will have to bring more
manpower into the core tools to become competitive. The idea of a
one-man army is inspirational, but I don't think it's very realistic.

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student