D : Not for me anymore

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Mon Oct 16 14:16:53 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Knud Sørensen wrote:
>> clayasaurus wrote:

>>> How about a "Top 10 D libraries" page on digitalmars D where the D
>>> community votes for the top 10 libraries each month on the newsgroups
>>> and then they get a very special recognition on the digitalmars site?
>>
>> Yes, a monthly competition like this is also a good idea.
>>
>> We have several authors on the list maybe we can get them to donate a
>> copy of one of there books for a first prize.
>
> I've thought about cash prizes and contests. I just had the nagging
> feeling that the result would be a circus rather than serious development.

A library contest would be far too much work _both_ for the
administrators and for the programmers.

For any non-trivial stuff it would necessarily drag out over months (if
not quarters), and get psychologically diluted -- especially knowing
that most (not all) of the contestants are of the breed "get quickly
enthused and equally quickly disinterested". (Just look at the number of
started projects at, say dsource, versus actual progress in most of them.)

A bit more demanding on the "establishment", but a lot more rewarding
for our end goal would be to have contests on smaller units! Such would
be individual classes, maybe groups of functions, or even
very-narrow-purpose libraries. There should also be a separate, on-going
series for single functions!!

The administration would be more work, granted. And choosing the contest
items would require much more work if we wanted to stay determined on
keeping in mind the end-goals and overall progress of the D effort.

---

Just think about it. At the extremes, we could either have a
whole-library contest every year, or we could have a singe-function
contest every week.

The bias here really ought to be a no-brainer, IMHO.

---

About monetary compensation: if I'm not totatlly wrong, the kind of
money we could have available as prize money, probably is trivial
anyway. So why not just be in it for the glory? (We might instead have
votings, jurys, inteviews of the winners (a la F-1), or something else
that folks feel inspiring!)

(I know that Euphoria (http://www.rapideuphoria.com) has "always" had
this "toy money, on-going economy" with folks trying to make very nice
apps, libraries, or utilities. But look at the booties: even the top
grossings are hardly worth the wear on your keyboard. So, at the end of
the day, it inevitably has to come down to just pride in workmanship.)

---

Now, if Walter's hint about cash prizes implies outside sponsors, then
the question rises, could we use those sponsors more effectively? Like
donated programmer-hours, paid advertising of Digital Mars on Google,
professional documentation writers... anything!

(( Heck, one of my recurring daydreams is to get Google-Labs or IBM
Developer Works interested in D. Against the clout and horsepower they
have, I'd even be ready to negotiate some (small part) of Walter's final
say in D to them! Both these guys are in an position to gross simply
preposterously from using D, and for that publicity I'd be willing to
offer them some tidbits of their choosing from the D say. ))

//// Sorry Walter, I know I'm out of line here. But then, if I weren't
this kind of person, I'd be doing something "useful" instead of beating
an unborn horse here. :-)