D : Not for me anymore

Kristian kjkilpi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 02:13:45 PDT 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 00:16:53 +0300, Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at nospam.org>
wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Knud Sørensen wrote:

>>> Yes, a monthly competition like this is also a good idea.
>>>
>>> We have several authors on the list maybe we can get them to donate a
>>> copy of one of there books for a first prize.
>>  I've thought about cash prizes and contests. I just had the nagging
>> feeling that the result would be a circus rather than serious
>> development.
>
> A library contest would be far too much work _both_ for the
> administrators and for the programmers.
>
> For any non-trivial stuff it would necessarily drag out over months (if
> not quarters), and get psychologically diluted -- especially knowing
> that most (not all) of the contestants are of the breed "get quickly
> enthused and equally quickly disinterested". (Just look at the number of
> started projects at, say dsource, versus actual progress in most of
> them.)
>
> A bit more demanding on the "establishment", but a lot more rewarding
> for our end goal would be to have contests on smaller units! Such would
> be individual classes, maybe groups of functions, or even
> very-narrow-purpose libraries. There should also be a separate, on-going
> series for single functions!!
>
> The administration would be more work, granted. And choosing the contest
> items would require much more work if we wanted to stay determined on
> keeping in mind the end-goals and overall progress of the D effort.

I agree. Implementing stuff usually takes a lot more time than you
originally thought it would.

And what if we end up with 10 good versions of a single library? If we
keep just one (or two), there will be a lot of work 'wasted'.

I think the most important thing conserning libraries is their API, not
how they are internally implemented. Of course, the API and the
implementation are usually intertwined, and you have think what may be
needed in the future too. Library should be simple and easy to use, yet
flexible and extendable. That's not an easy task, I think. ;)

So maybe we should have contents on APIs first. When we got the base
structure right, we can make competitions on parts (e.g. functions,
classes) that should be efficient, or hard to implement. Bulk (trivial)
stuff can be implemented outside the competitions later. Also, API
implementations should include documentation.