A programmer economy, D style?

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Thu Oct 19 13:06:53 PDT 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
>> Bill Baxter wrote:

>>> Getting some Google summer-of-coders might be good too.
>>> Where there any proposals for D this last time around?
>>>
>>> --bb
>>

>> Actually there where (one mine), but it was ineligible to participate.
>> The reason was: proposals must be submitted under the respective mentor
>> organizations, and if there is no mentor organization for the proposal,
>> it can be submitted to Google. However this year's SoC (unlike the
>> previous one) such applications without mentor organization must have a
>> high "academic research focus", and when I found that out it was too
>> late for new mentor organizations to sign up (one representing D was
>> needed). :(
>> I think it's an opportunity that should not be missed next year.
>
> I've been thinking about this..........
>

> IF there was as site where companies could specify apps,
> segments-of-apps, classes, or downright functions that they wanted to
> have, and if they specified how much they'd pay for them, how many
> people here would want to sign up as "potential coders"?
>
> It's not like this were my dream to host, but given enough
> encouragement, support, or motivation, then I might really consider it.
> (And, of course, anyone else is free to set up a competing web site
> right now, without asking me.)
>
> For a customer ready to adopt D, this would be an excellent way of
> jumping up to speed. And, for a company _not_ yet ready to use D, this
> could be an opportunity to acquire well programmed, fast and robust
> prototypes, for a fraction of the cost of ordering them the reagular way
> from SW-houses.
>
> Opinions?

I've seen something like this before, but I'll be damned if I can
remember any specific URLs.  There's a few sites like this online that
do in fact farm out piece-meal work.  An individual with enough time and
skill can make a decent amount of cash out there doing slews of meager
(handfuls of hours each) contracts.

I'll add that I recall seeing quite a few "write me a COM component
which will do X" requests out there that seemed fairly technology
agnostic.  To those customers, it's about the end-product rather than
the codebase.  This would be one way someone could guerrilla-market D by
making inroads and establishing a profile as a freelance D coder.

But I see what you mean.

My $0.02: Would you be satisfied with setting up a 'Classifieds' section
in the dsource forum?  I can't speak to this directly, but I'm sure Brad
would go for it.  Another option would be to ask Walter if he'd set up a
"d.D.classified" newsgroup.  Either way, given that the community is
still kind of small, a bounty-is-optional model might get things moving
a bit faster at first.

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo