Contributing to the compiler? Tracking suggestions?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Oct 23 02:05:01 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> There's also the tracker for D [2], but a comment on one enhancement
>> proposal I saw there says that the D issue tracker is reserved for
>> suggestions that received positive feedback from Walter, but many good
>> ideas are just ignored by Walter until like 90% the community jumps up
>> and down about it simultaneously.
>
> The suggestions for new features come in *daily*, sometimes several
> times a day. It's not possible to give a thoughtful response to them
> all, and it would be inappropriate to give a flip response.
>
> Let alone the impossibility of implementing all of them, or even all the
> good ones.
>
> So some sort of vetting process has to happen.

Understood.  I wasn't trying to say you *should* personally respond to
every single thing that comes in -- if you did, you'd waste all your
time on the newsgroup, and D would never go anywhere.

But the fact is you don't have time, and many of the suggestions seem
like good ones, so the question is what's the best way to

A) make these suggestions as digestible as possible for you (and
others), [e.g. more formal proposal structure with well-considered
discussion of pros-and-cons and ramifications; or say outright patches
to GDC] so they have more chance of being considered/accepted.

B) Even if not accepted make sure they get on a TODO list, somewhere, or
at least TO-THINK-MORE-ABOUT list.  I personally like the wiki as a
place for that, but I think that page has been around on Wiki4D for a
while but gotten very little attention.

--bb