D programming language

Fredrik Olsson peylow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 00:25:03 PDT 2006

John Reimer skrev:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:29:29 -0700, Fredrik Olsson <peylow at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Go to this page: http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/index.html
>>
>> And search for: "D programming language".
>>

>> I am pretty sure it is not our beloved D they are talking about. And I
>> also think /the other D/ will probably get more press, and sooner.
>>
>> Branding problem? Google hits? Etc?
>>
>> I still think that "Mars D" could be a more unique name.
>>

>> // Fredrik Olsson
>

> The language used with DTrace is not likely to be a threat.  It's been
> around for awhile and any press it got before doesn't seem to have done
> much for it.  Besides it's pretty much a domain specific language.  It's
> not a D competitor at all.

I am not worrying of competition at all. I am worrying that two
identically named languages will screw up search results, and
conversations with the uninformed.

In short just how will http://www.google.com/codesearch react? DTrace D
programing language have a much higher probability of becoming known to
the large masses, will it's fame and domain specific use taint "our" D?

So point is still; I think another name like "Mars D" that is more
unique will prove more useful in the long run. The odds of Sun changing
their name is nil and void.

// Fredrik Olsson