D programming language

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Oct 25 01:23:03 PDT 2006

Fredrik Olsson wrote:
> John Reimer skrev:
>> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:29:29 -0700, Fredrik Olsson <peylow at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Go to this page: http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/index.html
>>>
>>> And search for: "D programming language".
>>>

>>> I am pretty sure it is not our beloved D they are talking about. And
>>> I also think /the other D/ will probably get more press, and sooner.
>>>
>>> Branding problem? Google hits? Etc?
>>>
>>> I still think that "Mars D" could be a more unique name.
>>>

>>> // Fredrik Olsson
>>

>> The language used with DTrace is not likely to be a threat.  It's been
>> around for awhile and any press it got before doesn't seem to have
>> done much for it.  Besides it's pretty much a domain specific
>> language.  It's not a D competitor at all.
>>
> I am not worrying of competition at all. I am worrying that two
> identically named languages will screw up search results, and
> conversations with the uninformed.
>
> In short just how will http://www.google.com/codesearch react? DTrace D
> programing language have a much higher probability of becoming known to
> the large masses, will it's fame and domain specific use taint "our" D?
>

> So point is still; I think another name like "Mars D" that is more
> unique will prove more useful in the long run. The odds of Sun changing
> their name is nil and void.
>

> // Fredrik Olsson
>
>> -JJR

If at all possible, I think it would be good to get "D Programming
Language" trademarked, and then ask DTrace folks nicely once more to
stop using the name.  Heck, it must annoy them more than it annoys us.
Search for "D programming language" turns up nothing but links to this
D.  Really it would be more a service to their community than ours for
them to stop calling it "D programming language".

Googling a bit, I see the Wikipedia page calls them "DTrace scripts" and
not the "D programs", and doesn't even mention "The D Programming
Language".    And the opensolaris page about dtrace has links to "DTrace
Scripts" not D scripts or D language scripts.

But the extension used does seem to be .d (when it's not nothing), so
google code searches might get confused.  Google has to deal with that
already, though, when it comes to .h files.  I suspect they use some
sort of heuristic to determine what language something really is.  For D
  vs DTrace should be pretty easy:
   contains more 'import','//','/+','class','opThisOrThat' -> it's D.
   contains more '#', 'fi', '$', '::', ':::' -> it's DTrace.
Not that hard to differentiate automatically with a few regexps and a tally.

A previous thread on this:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/27897.html

--bb