little thing - D and phobos naming conventions

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 20:07:42 PDT 2006

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> Anders F Björklund wrote:
>
>> Frits van Bommel wrote:
>>
>>> This has been discussed before. IIRC, the rationale was 'stdio'
>>> refers to the standard input/output provided by the operating system
>>> (i.e. console i/o, by default).
>>> Though std.stdio also seems to contain FILE* i/o, so maybe the name
>>> isn't _entirely_ appropriate.
>>

>> And it's even more funny as stdio doesn't contain any "input"...
>

> Yeah, that too :).
>
>> But I guess that "std.stdo" would have sounded more strange :-)
>

> Well, at least it leaves room for expansion :).
>
> What do you think, should Object get a method 'fromString' or something
> so we can add something like readf(ln) to std.stdio? ;)

We shouldn't even need that to get some kind of readln() function.  Make
it simple, it shouldn't need arguments (overload though for the fancy
stuff) just read a line from the console.

Later on if we want fromString, so we can do more fancy formatted input
and stuff, ok, but for now I am kinda dissappointed with the /complete/
lack of console input function in phobos (disregarding std.c, because
that's c not d and a pain to use IMO).

I do miss a cheap/easy way to grab input like in C# w/ Console.ReadLine().