Proposal for a standard for D library naming

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Tue Sep 26 11:56:47 PDT 2006

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>
>> Gregor Richards wrote:
>>>         o The only rule is that any module must be in the most
>>> specifically-named library corresponding to that module. That is, if you
>>> have libD.a.b.so.0 and libD.a.so.0, the module a.b.c should be in
>>> libD.a.b.so.0, not libD.a.so.0. Doing otherwise is fairly ridiculous
>>> anyway.
>>>

>> Why so? Why should a given library be splited across multiple so/dll
>> files according to package, instead of being compiled in just one file?
>>

> You totally missed the point, if the library _is_ split, then there should
> be a standardized way to decide which part a module is in.

I see.

Well, But then I think it is a bad code "convention" to have
subdivisions (packages) are not at the same level. That means that one
should either have:
   a.*   // a lib with 'a' and all subpackages and modules
or have:
   // three related libs, each with it's subpackages and modules.
   a.b.*
   a.c.*
   a.d.*
This means that in the second option, package 'a' cannot have
sub-modules, only sub-packages.

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student