Newsgroups & Discussions

Lionello Lunesu lio at lunesu.remove.com
Mon Apr 2 05:16:14 PDT 2007

Lutger wrote:
> Lionello Lunesu wrote:
>> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>>> Hum, BTW, let me recommend this Google presentation that featured on
>>> slashdot some time ago:
>>> "How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People "
>>> http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645
>>> Note that the talk is more than just about "poisonous people", but
>>> community management in general.
>>> (And just to be 100% clear, I'm not calling poisonous to anyone, I
>>> didn't even read that stdio/standard-libs threads, so I don't know
>>> what went on there)
>>>

>> What the h*** are "poisonous people"? Is it some kind of terrorist?
>>
>> L.
>
> It's just a catchy frase about a very normal thing: people who drain
> human resources (time and focus) from a project and not always on
> purpose. It's a good video with well presented insights of group
> dynamics, applicable to any kind of community.
> The only thing that is a pity is exactly this, it's not about dealing
> with 'poisonous people' perse, as if they were some kind of different
> breed, it's about (mostly technical) community / group management and
> disruptions. There is something potentially 'poisonous' in all of us,
> which is well worth remembering.

Yeah, I know, that's what I was getting at with my 'terrorist' comment.
I forgot to use a smiley to note the tone of my post :)

Much like we're all very capable of turning into "terrorists" (I mean,
you don't get born "a terrorist), we also all have our poisonous
moments. The last year I just got very allergic to these "generic" labels.

L.