standardization of D

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 5 12:00:48 PDT 2007

Anders F Björklund Wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>
> > Wow!  That's god-awful!  I just write:
> >
> > int main(){ printf("Hello World!\n"); return 0; }
> >
> > It compiles, for everyone.
>
> Sure, this has worked for years - no argument there.
> (besides the missing import for "printf", of course)

I think printf doesn't actually need to be imported.  I use it all the time, I think without?

> This was just for the discussion, and not literally
> (even if some libraries do support both at once...)
>
> And it was just two calls :-)
> --anders

True.

Sorry, reading my words I came accross harsh.  I had a funny smile on my face when I said it.  : p

You guys were starting to make it sound like D was going monkey business; when it's got a perfectly stable 1.0 and a pair of solid libraries that can be used today and the source for them will be there indefinitely (SVN revision system)

The 'new version control system' via SVN is to branch off stable versions, and keep the development version in trunk - unlike the Linux kernel.

Arguably, the SVN model is better than the Linux model because the Linux model (freeze, now go, freeze, now go) stifles development, is inflexible, and unnaturally arbitrary.  The only advantage I see with the Linux model is it forces you to eliminate all known bugs for each cycle.

Just my three cents (inflation, not value added)