DSSS, Dsource, and cpan

Brad Anderson brad at dsource.org
Wed Apr 11 06:24:04 PDT 2007

eao197 wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:27:43 +0400, Walter Bright
> <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> In any repository of projects, there's going to be a very wide range
>> of quality. There are going to be first rate projects, second rate
>> ones, and third rate ones. If a new D user takes a look at dsource, is
>> there any way he can tell the difference without a large investment of
>> his time?

No, and this bothers me greatly.

>> There are other ways to rank projects besides a certification process.
>> One could be like the 'digg' system where registered users can do a
>> thumbs up or thumbs down on a particular project. Then, the new D user
>> can just look at highly rated ones if he chooses.

I also like the digg/reddit system where votes up or down can let the
community decide relative merit of projects.  Moderators can grow to have too
much power and influence, so maybe just an extra up/down vote might be all
moderators get.

> I can only speak for myself. When I'm trying to find some library on
> SourceForge or RubyForge I at first use 'Trove Map' classification tool
> (for example: http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php). Then
> search most active developed and most active downloaded projects and
> make choice beetwen them. So 'classification' + 'project activity
> statictics' + 'download counter' is my a key in project searching.

I have had project activity statistics planned and partially implemented for a
while now, and need to find the time to get it completed.  There are some
issues, like what makes good statistics, but I think I should just impose my
will on you and have you "like it." ;)

I have also talked with GregorR to create a shared authentication scheme
between dsss.codu.org, dsource.org, and any other D site that wishes.  We
didn't get past the discussion phase, but I still think that one
username/password combo in D-land should be enough.  OpenID seems like a good
idea here.

Like many people here, time constraints keep me away from D-land and
dsource.org for some stretches of time.  That is the current situation in
which I find myself.  To this end, I thought I'd mention I'm always looking
for people to help out.  Ideal candidates won't bring radically new ideas at
first, but would be willing to work within the current Python-based Trac
system.  I want to gradually extend the system with D (via Pyd) with some of
the features listed above, and eventually have the whole thing running in D.
But for now, there will be some Py work.  Candidates with previous time
invested in the D community have an advantage.

Please send me emails if you would like to help.

BA

P.S.  Loosen up the wallets and PayPal accounts, as I will most likely have a
fund-raiser soon, to cover the costs of the hosting account.  Some have
already donated[1] and if you would care to do so as well, see our donations
page[2]

[1] http://www.dsource.org/site/donors
[2] http://www.dsource.org/site/donate