An open question to Rebuild users

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Apr 16 13:54:44 PDT 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:

> So, the obvious question is: Why? Why use rebuild and not DSSS? I
> imagine there must be some misconceptions about DSSS, what it is,
> what it's for, et cetera.

>  * DSSS provides no advantages over using just a build tool. Also not
> true - even if DSSS provided /only/ a convenient build configuration
> file format (dsss.conf), that would be a sizable advantage of rebuild.
> DSSS provides much more, however, including easy generation of libraries
> with associated .di files, installation, documentation, etc, etc. If you
> really want your rebuild profile for an application or library be
> portable, you would need to either have several Makefiles or response
> files wrapped around rebuild (nasty), or use DSSS (nice).

I'm using Rebuild as a Bud/Build alternative, mostly since it was
easier to compile but also since it seems to be a lot faster too.

Eventually I might look into trying to replace several Makefiles
with dsss.conf, but there is a slight learning threshold involved ?
So while I'm sure it's nice, I just haven't gotten around to it...
Thus the process still uses: gnumake --> rebuild --> gdmd --> gdc

Is there a problem if one finds rebuild useful without using DSSS ?
"Good ol' make. Nuthin' beats that!" - "Make!" - "DSSS!" - "D'oh!" :-)

--anders

PS. A migration guide might help ?