dsource and ranking vs. rating

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 17 13:30:17 PDT 2007

I tend to think that both have obvious deficiencies.

I would personally implement:

[] Did you use the project
[] Did you examine the source

[1 2 3 4 5] The maintainer is my best friend/family [ comments ]
[1 2 3 4 5] Project satisfied my needs [ comments ]
[1 2 3 4 5] Project was well designed [ comments ]
[1 2 3 4 5] Project was well documented [ comments ]
[1 2 3 4 5] Project performed well [ comments ]

This sort of system could then be fed into a user-defined weighted ranking system.  If the user only cares about performance, they can ask for it.  If they insist on documentation, they can ask for that.

That way we can search by our own priorities, rather than the priorities of the people who voted.  We can also weed out people who vote without knowing shit, or vote just because they like someone or hate someone else.

Developers can also get feedback from the comments and rankings so they know what to work on rather than simply getting a "your project sucks" big fat zero.