Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 00:55:55 PDT 2007

Davidl wrote:
> Personally, I'm not familiar with tango, but the following is based on
> the thought of
> 1. one man's effort vs. a team's effort
> 2. growing D code need only 1 base standard library.
>
> I don't think it's funny to switch from phobos to tango or switch tango
> back to phobos.

If you haven't used Tango, then how can you make this comment?

> I think standard library should be provided by D community, I appreciate
> Walter gave us phobos.
> We needed this babysitter. But now D community is growing bigger &
> bigger. I'm wondering if Walter
> can put as much effort as he used to put on Phobos to compete with
> Tango.  And endless arguing of
> Phobos vs. Tango is somewhat meaningless & annoying.
> Once tangobos out, I hope standard DMD package would be released by
> tango team & Walter, with Tango
> being the base default library. Users can use tangobos for legacy code.

I really don't see the need for this.  Phobos is a lovely minimalist
library that simply gets the job done with a minimum of fuss.  Tango is
a nicely structured library full of functionality.  They fill different
needs.

What's more, switching between them is a *total* non-issue.  Here's how
I compile phobos apps:

$ rebuild foo

Here's how I compile Tango apps

$ rebuild -dcdmd-tango bar

Heck, I usually don't even do that; I just dump the switches into a text
file and use them as response files.  If rebuild grew bud-style +target
args, it'd be perfect :)

It's not like it's rocket science any more.  I honestly can't see a
reason why the two can't simply coexist.

	-- Daniel

--
int getRandomNumber()
{