Let Go, Standard Library From Community

eao197 eao197 at intervale.ru
Wed Apr 18 02:57:43 PDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:55:55 +0400, Daniel Keep
<daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's more, switching between them is a *total* non-issue.  Here's how
> I compile phobos apps:
>
> $ rebuild foo
>
> Here's how I compile Tango apps
>
> $ rebuild -dcdmd-tango bar
>
> Heck, I usually don't even do that; I just dump the switches into a text
> file and use them as response files.  If rebuild grew bud-style +target
> args, it'd be perfect :)
>
> It's not like it's rocket science any more.  I honestly can't see a
> reason why the two can't simply coexist.

I think problem of Phobos/Tango incompatibility affects not application
writers, but libraries writers. If someone writes some application domain
library (XML parsing, SOAP support, event-driven framework and so on) then
he/she can use Phobos or Tango, but this choice divides users of than
library to Phobos-only or Tango-only. An attempt to write big library
which can work either with Phobos or Tango would lead to undesirable
amount of version statements in code (as in good old C/C++ times with many
#if/#else).

--
Regards,
Yauheni Akhotnikau